Oh moving day... The paper, the boxes and don't forget the chaos! Okay it's not that bad, but it can feel like it will be that way leading up to it. When the estimator came out to check out our house the week before, she told us it would take one maybe two days with a three man crew, so that is what we expected. A three man crew for one day, and maybe half of the second day for our beds and stuff. Unless of course we were unlucky and got stuck with a lazy crew.

The first morning arrived and there was only two guys! "Ugh  really only two guys! This is going to take FOREVER" was my first thought when I saw them. Then we found out that our third guy had a funeral and that they were trying to get another third guy to come and help out. I felt guilty for thinking bad of them. To makes me feel even better about things they were both uber nice!


After lunch our second guy had to leave, because his wife went into labor! Of course we understood and wished him luck as he sprinted out the door. We were now down to one poor soul, but man was he amazing! Kingston was his name and he packed almost 3/4 of the house by  himself that first day! We were very impressed to say the least. Not only did he do that much packing by himself, but he stay till nearly 7 to do it! He was so determined to take care of us.


While Kingston was hard at work, we were all very bored. I think I started to stress him out a bit at one point, because I kept trying to help in some way. I thought I was making things easier until he put his hand on my shoulder and said "Mrs. Wilkie go relax" as he chuckled "I got this". We both had a good chuckle and I went to find something else to occupy myself with. With 9 moves under my belt, 7 of those we had to do solely by ourselves, I am not used to sitting around and letting others do all the work!


At one point everyone, but me went upstairs and took a nap.As my husband can attest, I am not a napper, far from it! The day seemed to drag on with nothing to do.  Eventually I took the girls to the park to get their wiggles out and got rained on, but that didn't stop us from enjoying it!

The second day was practically a 180.  Our carpet cleaners where due to be there at 9:30am, so the Husband and I cleared out the remaining stuff upstairs, just in case, right about the time Kingston showed up by himself nearly an hour early!

Things moved fast from then on. At one point we had six different people in our house between the carpet guys and the three extra movers that showes up to help! I think the moving company felt bad for Kingston having to do everything by himself the day before, so they sent a rotating force of five different guys throughout the day to come and help.

Andy had to leave right after lunch to pop into work for a minute and check us into the hotel. By the time he got back at around 2 p.m. the movers had finished and all that was left was to finalize the paperwork and do some touch up cleaning.


The girls were sad when it came time to pack up their bike and shopping cart, since they were the very last things to make in to the truck. They handled it pretty well though, mainly I think, because we told them it was taking a boat ride to Nana and Pop-pop's house. Ames thought that was pretty cool!

Those two days seemed to fly by and yet stand still. I wrote previous about the pain and fear of leaving, but there was also a sense of excitement and anticipation in the air too.

I don't think I could have ever been properly prepared for what this first move with kids, was going to be like. It has been rough and rewarding all at the same time and while there are certain aspects I wish I could change I would not take it back for all the world.